Sunderland City Council – Town Park Improvements
A recent project we carried out in August 2019 – July 2020 was the Public Realm Improvement works to Town Park in Sunderland. The improvements to the park was awarded a £1million National Lottery Heritage Fund and is part of the Bishopwearmouth Townscape Heritage Scheme to restore and renew the open space for the enjoyment of the local community.
The works consisted of improvement works to the Town Park, a green space situated behind Sunderland Minster. The park area is a busy pedestrianised route used by the general public as main access from the heritage area of listed buildings including the Grade II* listed Empire Theatre through to the Bridges Shopping Mall situated in the centre of Sunderland.
The scope of works included:
• Hard and soft landscaping to existing pavements
• New granite paving and steps to performance area and new perimeter footways
• A new central seating area to ornamental garden area
• Specialist stonemasonry works to existing perimeter church wall
• Restoration of historic cast iron railings, ironmongery and sandstone pillars
• Improved LED street lighting
• New granite planters
As a main contractor, BCE Northern Ltd was wholly responsible for the execution and sourcing, organising and delivery of all necessary labour, plant and materials to site along with the programming of works to ensure a timely and successful delivery of the project.
The Contract was completed on time and within a controlled HeritageLottery Fund budget and nominated to the final of the 2020 Northern Design Awards.